The next time believers tell you that 'separation of church and state' does not appear in our founding document, tell them to stop using the word 'trinity.' The word 'trinity' appears nowhere in the bible. Neither does Rapture, or Second Coming, or Original Sin. If they are still unfazed (or unphrased), by this, then add Omniscience, Omnipresence, Supernatural, Transcendence, Afterlife, Deity, Divinity, Theology, Monotheism, Missionary, Immaculate Conception, Christmas, Christianity, Evangelical, Fundamentalist, Methodist, Catholic, Pope, Cardinal, Catechism, Purgatory, Penance, Transubstantiation, Excommunication, Dogma, Chastity, Unpardonable Sin, Infallibility, Inerrancy, Incarnation, Epiphany, Sermon, Eucharist, the Lord's Prayer, Good Friday, Doubting Thomas, Advent, Sunday School, Dead Sea, Golden Rule, Moral, Morality, Ethics, Patriotism, Education, Atheism, Apostasy, Conservative (Liberal is in), Capital Punishment, Monogamy, Abortion, Pornography, Homosexual, Lesbian, Fairness, Logic, Republic, Democracy, Capitalism, Funeral, Decalogue, or Bible. - Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
Home >> Articles >> Recipes
1 1/2 pounds thin asparagus , rinsed and ends snapped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon serrano chile or jalapeņo chiles, halved, seeds and ribs removed, chiles cut crosswise 1/8 inch thick
2 tablespoons soy sauce or fish sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 cup chopped fresh basil
3 large chiles of your choice, sliced on the diagonal into thin ovals, or 9 thin strips cut from a red bell pepper
1. Bring 1 inch water to boil in a soup kettle. Put asparagus in steamer basket, then carefully place steamer basket in kettle; cover and steam over medium-high heat until asparagus is slightly undercooked, about 4 minutes for medium spears. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat a wok or large, deep skillet over high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat surface.
3. Add garlic and minced chile; toss until garlic begins to turn golden, about 15 seconds.
4. Add the asparagus; stir-fry until coated with oil, about 15 seconds.
5. Add soy sauces and 1 tablespoon water; stir-fry until liquid almost evaporates, about 30 seconds.
6. Add sugar; stir-fry another 30 seconds. Add the basil and sliced chiles; stir-fry until basil wilts. Serve hot or at room temperature.